Monday, April 21, 2008

More Barney Drama.....

Poor Barney. The Saturday after his neutering (I was away in MN) Chris noticed that he had some "oozing" from his sutures, of course this was after the vet was closed. By Monday the oozing had stopped, but Chris called the vet anyway. The vet said if it had stopped and he looked okay everything was probably okay. We went with that.


Starting on Monday and Through Thursday we noticed that he was getting a mass of fluid on his belly, and that it kept getting larger. It didn't bother him when we messed with it, but he was starting to get more and more immobile and not interested in eating. By Thursday lunch he would not do the stairs and I was really concerned so I made an appointment and the soonest I could get in was that afternoon at 4:30. I took him in and realized that he had an infection and a 3 degree temp (a lot for a dog). They gave him a shot to help boost recovery and he got put on lasic (to help drain the fluid) and a antibiotic.

I went to bed Thursday night feeling pretty good that Barney was going to be on the path to recovery. Unfortunately Friday morning was so ugly. Barney was dripping blood from his underside. We knew we had to take him in immediately. Chris took him in right at 7:30. There was a hole on his underside (not near his sutures, but on the other side where you can actually see up in him) (I've never seen anything like it, looks like a flesh eating virus, but isn't) The infection had caused a buildup that must have itched like nothing else and he itched and bit at it all night and it drained and drained. The vet said it looked alright that it would heal from the inside out and since he is on antibiotics it will keep infection away and to keep an eye on it. Couldn't believe it.


Yuck I know, but I do get to end on a positive note. Over the weekend Barney is really starting to do well. His mass is almost gone and he is really getting back to his puppy self. We took a really long walk on Saturday and he kept up well. Makes me so thankful to see that. I feel good that we are now on the road to recovery (cross my fingers). We have to go back to get his stitches out on Saturday (got postponed because of the infection) so the vet can take another peek. Hopefully all will be alright.

P.S. Believe me, you'll be glad I don't have pics to post w/ this one! :)