Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Barney


My heart is heavy for Barney tonight. Barney had a busy day today. We knew that we had to bring him in for repeat Xrays because the machine malfunctioned last week when we tried to have them done. So we decided that we would multitask. Today Barney had Xrays on both elbows, was neutered (but was a more complicated surgery because he only had 1 testicle descended), got micro chipped, and nails cut.

Busy day for Barney. The surgery went well. He came out of that good as can be expected and we will go back in 10-15 days to remove the sutures.

I was able to pick him up after work and take a look at the Xrays with the vet. Bad news for Barney, he's showing signs of arthritis in his elbows. And she can possibly see where a growth plate was damaged (in playing or a jump or fall) that isn't helping. Had Barney been an older dog our vet would have recommended that he go on prescription dog food ($$) but because he is barely 6 months old it is important for us to keep him on puppy food till he he is 1 year and we will try a nutrition supplement of Glucosamine. It is important for us to really watch his weight and to make sure he gets careful exercise and to minimize running and jumping. (Hard w/ a puppy)

Maybe not everyone who reads this will know Barney, but everyone who meets him comments on what a cool dog he is. He has the best disposition and personality. So laid back and sweet.

I am very sad to know that there is not a good solution for him. We will do the nutrition supplement, then the Rx food, and then she said that as he gets older there is a prescription for pain meds that we can do, but to hold off as long as we can because it will all too soon become a staple for him. I am such a big baby as I sit here with tears running down my face writing this message. When you get a breed of a dog, you typically know some of the risks associated and we knew these risks, its just harder when it hits home.

I hate to end this on such a sour note, so I will go back and write about the beginning of my day. This morning I took the girls to work with me for a short time so it would be easier for Chris to drop off Barney. Zoey and Cadee were busy playing and Zoey was drawing on my whiteboard. (Last time she was in she drew a cute picture of "her" and "I", of course that got deleted first thing when she came in) So she was just drawing thins like a "Pool" and then I asked what it was and it was a "scarrry monnnster" and I said I'd rather have a picture of her and I or of Barney or something, but she wouldn't honor my request, so I just ended up back with my blank ol whiteboard!

Today just ended up to be a cash flow day because on top of Barney's vet visit, Chris had to make an unplanned visit to the dentist due to a chipped tooth and found out that he needs a crown as a replacement! wow!

Had a very enjoyable evening at my Bible study last night and it was great to see KU take the national championship! Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU! :)

No comments: